More Options
Category:

LinuxLinks News
 · Fun Packed Open Source Action Games
 · Improve Your Mental Mettle with These Open Source Puzzle Games
 · MOOS Project Viewer 3.2 Support for Microsoft Project 2016 Files
 · Shuffle the Decks with These Ace Open Source Card Games
 · Have a Blast with Fun to Play Open Source Arcade Style Games
 · Asus Tinker Board TinkerOS_Debian V2.0.1 (Beta version)
 · Asus Tinker Board TinkerOS Android 13.11.0.5 Anything Special?
 · Fun to Play Open Source Turn-Based Strategy Games
 · Fun to Play Open Source Real-Time Strategy Games Fight for Glory
 · Grasp PL/SQL/pgSQL Programming with Free Books
(more...)

LinuxLinks Login

Login:

Password:

Click here
to start your own
Link collection!

My LinuxLinks
 My LinuxLinksMyLinks  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RH8 Network Device Control Can't Deactivate connection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LinuxLinks.com Forum Index -> Networking / Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
engelbmj
Registered

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject: RH8 Network Device Control Can't Deactivate connection Reply with quote

Linux/Redhat 8.0 gurus, please help.

I am using Redhat 8.0. Occasionally, my ISP connection (I have a 56k modem) will just die. It doesn't disconnect, I just can't connect to any web sites. This happens to me in Windows too, so I think it's an ISP thing. Anway, when this happens, I have problems using RH8 Network Device Control (NDC) GUI. Technically, my connection is still open. However, when I open NDC to close the connection, I get a message like "can't deactivate connection", something like that. I can close the NDC window, but can't close the connection.So, I'm stuck with this dead connection. The only what I've figured out how to get a new connection is to shutdown and restart! Ahh, Windows all over again! Logging off doesn't work. I know there's a better way.

I've noticed that a LCK..ttyS4 file is created in the /var/lock dir when I have a connection open. When the connection goes dead, this file stays alive. I've tried deleting this file when the connection dies, thinking this might close it, but no luck. Same problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

- Matt

RobertP
Sergeant Penguin
Sergeant Penguin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N.B. I have not used a modem with Linux, so I am probably way off base, but,
long ago, in a distant part of the galaxy, I had a modem that failed just that way. This was in the pre-486 days. The modem used a reed relay to connect to the phone line and would somehow lock in the wrong position. I by-passed it with a soldering iron and used the phone jack as the relay. Shocked

OK, that's not likely happened here, but it could still be a failure of the modem. Do you have a spare you can swap? Do you have any diagnostic messages in
tail /var/log/messages ? Look immediately after the failure.
engelbmj
Registered

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah, I don't think the problem is with the modem. I bought this hardware modem, a rather expensive US Robotics variety, just so I could dial up from my linux box. Previously, I had some type of winmodem that came with my Dell that didn't work under Linux.

I'll have to wait until the problem happens again to identify the diagnostic messages. Until then, it's happy surfing.
Woolmer
Registered

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can run a firewall to secure your little network from the www or stuff on that other OS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LinuxLinks.com Forum Index -> Networking / Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: