(more...)

LinuxLinks Login

Login:

Password:

Click here
to start your own
Link collection!

My LinuxLinks
 My LinuxLinksMyLinks  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linux on USB aka PenDriveLinux

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mccartco
Registered

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Linux on USB aka PenDriveLinux Reply with quote

I was able to get OpenSUSE installed on a USB using the pendrive site. I have since installed OpenSUSE on my laptop and its working great. Wish I had switched before this.
I was able to use OpenSUSE from the USB that made surfing the net faster.
I was also able to save programs to a second USB, the problem is, it was difficult to
save files to the USB with Linux on it.

I did figure out a way to use the sudo command, and sudo the Word Processor to get it to save files into the isofrom directory. I believe I also had to change the file permissions on the directory with the chmod command.

Does anyone know an easier way to make the USB with the OS writable so I don't lose my work if I'm working off the USB stick?? Normally everything I work on is lost and nothing is saved permanently. Any advice appreciated, like I mentioned, already upgraded Laptop with the OS and then I don't have the problem.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions someone might have.

lbug7575
Registered

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sudo command, and sudo the Word Processor to get it to save files into the isofrom directory. I believe I also had to change the file permissions on the directory with the chmod command.
mccartco
Registered

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

That sounds right. I just upgrade the system. Another solution is to use one USB
with a Linux OS and another USB stick for files. It seems a little more user friendly.
Previously, it was necessary to use a mount command to access files on external storage.

The problem I've seen with the above is if the computer is a slow computer and the stick has lots of files, it can still take awhile to load in the Linux File Manager. While having Linux usually squeezes the most out of a computer, its possible to still be constrained by an older computer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LinuxLinks.com Forum Index -> Beginners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: