(more...)

LinuxLinks Login

Login:

Password:

Click here
to start your own
Link collection!

My LinuxLinks
 My LinuxLinksMyLinks  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dillo 0.8.0

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfie
Registered

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Dillo 0.8.0 Reply with quote

dillo 0.8.0 review

Background

Software developers have continually increased the number of features offered in their programs, responding to the competition and requests from their users. Web browsers have not been neglected in this respect. These days a typical Linux web browser sports tabbed browsers, pop-up blockers, 128-bit SSL, TLS, JavaScript, cookies etc.

Dillo is different. Dillo's main aim is to provide a super lean and fast browser that cuts away the detritus. The binary file is about 350KB (yes, KB not MB).

Installation

The source code tarball was only 387KB in size and it was pleasing that it compiled perfectly with no problems whatsoever.

Code:
bunzip2 dillo-0.8.0.tar.bz2
tar -xf dillo-0.8.0.tar
./configure
make

In operation

Firing up dillo presented an immediate problem when clicking on the bookmark icon. A message ERROR: Can't start qpid daemon! appeared. It didn't take too long to work out the solution: copy dpid to /usr/local/bin and then run ./install-dpi-local

Let's focus first on what dillo can do.

At the top of the screenshot you can see a button bar which allows you to go back and forward between web pages. The third button takes you to your home page, and the fourth lets you reload a page. You can save a web page by clicking on the fifth icon, and stop a page loading with the next icon. There is also a bookmark icon, followed by a F which displays a drop down menu. The options available here are clearly quite basic but are sufficient for you to be able to navigate around web pages.

Dillo can display graphic files including JPEGs and PNGs. Files stored on FTP servers had to be downloaded by right clicking on the link and selecting Save Link As. There's no progress bar whilst the file is being downloaded, which made me feel a little uncomfortable.

I've used Dillo for a few months now, and it makes a good stab at displaying the majority of websites. It renderes pages really well when they don't make much use of tables.

Conclusion

This is an extremely fast lightweight browser which is extremely useful on low specified machines. Without support for secure websites, cookies, javascript, good table/frame support, it cannot currently totally replace your standard browser, but it shows how much can be achieved if all the bloat is removed. This project is certainly a good cause from some user funding and the authors are actively seeking donations.

jimmiec
Registered

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: why recreate Reply with quote

One of my fears or complaints about linux is that it seems that people are using it to recreate programs and such that are already available in Windows. Why? What is the advantage? For some (computer programers) I can see that Linux allows the user to add their input into programs.
cshelle
Registered

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: recreate Reply with quote

One of the main reasons people are moving towards Linux is to have a desktop alternative to Windows. Because of virus, security, cost, and control issues, many people want an open source alternative. They want Windows out of their lives completely. But that also means that they are looking to the open source community to create apps that meet or exceed the standards of the applications they had in Windows.

Quote:
One of my fears or complaints about linux is that it seems that people are using it to recreate programs and such that are already available in Windows. Why? What is the advantage? For some (computer programers) I can see that Linux allows the user to add their input into programs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LinuxLinks.com Forum Index -> Reviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: