(more...)

LinuxLinks Login

Login:

Password:

Click here
to start your own
Link collection!

My LinuxLinks
 My LinuxLinksMyLinks  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DFM 0.99.9

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfie
Registered

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: DFM 0.99.9 Reply with quote

DFM 0.99.9

Background

DFM is a Linux file manager which is loosely based on the veteran Work Place Shell (WPS) that came packaged with IBM's OS/2. There has always been controversy between Linux users about whether a Graphical User Interface (GUI) is required for manipulating files. After all, all Linux distros come with commands such as cp, mv, rm, chmod, chown etc that let you organise your filesystem to your heart's content. I'm of a different school of thought; maybe I'm lazy, but I prefer dragging and dropping files, launching files into a suitable program, and having an attractive interface.

Installation

The following commands were entered at a shell prompt:

Code:
tar zxvf dfm-0.99.9.tar.gz
./configure
make
make install

The program appeared to have compiled perfectly with no problems whatsoever, although none of the icons were being found on startup of DFM. The HELP.ERROR file documents a manual procedure to follow so that the icons were found, I ended up setting up a nasty symbolic link as it was quicker than the proposed method.

In operation

Basic file operations are performed reasonably easily with DFM. Dragging an icon from one window to another moves the file. Copying the file is performed in the same manner except that the shift and ctrl keys need to be held down at the same time. If only the shift key is held down a symbolic link is created.

I started up the application in my home directory. Clicking on any of the folders launches another window. Each folder can be displayed in a detail or structure view, in addition to the normal view. The normal view can get messy especially if you have lots of long filename files like I have. The icons supplied with DFM help to make different file types distinctive.

Right clicking (or ctrl-O) on a file/windows brings up a menu with options including the previously mentioned detail/structure view. The Options menu allows you to rename files, change the icon, shell command and permissions.

Conclusion

DFM hasn't been updated for over 3 years, and this frankly shows in use.

One thing that annoyed me was that there isn't any way of opening a file in more than one different application, the .dfmext configuration file only lets you choose one application for each different file type. Although every single file can have it's own start command, it's laborious to have to configure this for every file especially if you then want to open it up in a different program.

The features offered are basic but perform the minimum required of a filemanager. If you hanker for OS/2, DFM may suit your needs.

Dave212
Corporal Penguin
Corporal Penguin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bags I'll review TkDesk!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LinuxLinks.com Forum Index -> Reviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: