Flare (Free/Libre Action Roleplaying Engine) is a simple,
open source, single-player 2D-isometric action RPG engine. Flare is not
a reimplementation of an existing game or engine. Rather than building
a very abstract, robust game engine, the goal of this project is to
build several real games and harvest an engine from the common,
reusable code. The first game, in progress, is a fantasy dungeon crawl.
Included is a demo game featuring dark atmosphere and
fast-paced combat. Flare uses simple file formats (INI style config
files) for most of the game data, allowing anyone to easily modify game
contents. Open formats are preferred (png, ogg). The game code is C++.
GNU GPL v3 (code)
CC-BY-SA 3.0 (Artwork)
Clint Bellanger and other developers and
- Easy to mod with plain text files
- Basic translation support
- CC-BY-SA licensed core assets to create new campaigns
- Games made with flare:
- flare-game - a medival fantasy game
- polymorphable - a game made for "The Liberated Pixel
cup", which was a competition about game art and making a game thereof
- concordia - another game using the art created during
"The Liberated Pixel Cup"
to Peachy Games Home Page
Last Updated Monday, November 03 2014 @ 02:34 PM EST