GNU Parted is an open source program that allows you to
create, destroy, resize, move, and copy disk partitions. This is useful
for creating space for new operating systems, reorganizing disk usage,
and copying data to new hard disks.
It consists of a library, libparted, and a
command-line front-end, parted, that also serves as a reference
Parted (after version 2.4) no longer has the ability
to create and
modify file systems.
GParted and KDE Partition Manager are graphical programs using
the parted libraries.
| Parted 3.1
Free to download
GNU GPL v3
libuuid (part of e2fsprogs)
- Supports DOS, Mac, Sun, BSD, GPT, MIPS, and PC98
- "loop" (raw disk) type which allows use on RAID/LVM
- Detect and remove ASFS/AFFS/APFS, Btrfs, ext2/3/4,
FAT16/32, HFS, JFS, linux-swap, UFS, XFS, and ZFS file systems
- Designed to minimize the chance of data loss by performing
many safety checks
- Two modes: command line and interactive
to Partitioning Tools Home Page
Last Updated Thursday, December 20 2012 @ 04:47 PM EST