The ircII program is a full screen, termcap based interface
to Internet Relay Chat, running in a text-only shell-based environment.
This application gives full access to all
of the normal IRC functions, plus a variety of additional
options. This version is able to display mIRC colors. It is a
lightweight and portable client.
ircII has the virtue of being the oldest IRC client that is
still being actively maintained. It was the first client to implement
Client-to-client protocol (CTCP) and the Direct Client-to-Client (DCC)
protocol. A number of notable IRC clients have been forked from the
ircII codebase, including BitchX and EPIC.
| ircII 20141028
Free to download
Revised BSD license
Matthew R. Green
- Multi-server support
- CTCP support - ask other clients for information
- DCC support - talk with another user outside of IRC
- Supports "/encrypt -cast"
- IPv6 support
- UTF-8 support
- Internet Citizen's Band (early Internet chat program)
- Private messages
- Nickname registration
- TCL scripting of commands and functions
to Console Based IRC Clients
Last Updated Thursday, November 06 2014 @ 04:06 PM EST