GpsDrive is a vehicle (car, bike, ship, plane) map-based
navigation system that displays the current
position provided by an NMEA capable GPS receiver on a zoomable map.
Maps can be downloaded from different map providers or
rendered on-the-fly using the OpenStreetMap dataset.
The maps are autoselected for best
resolution depending on your position and can be downloaded from the
Internet. You can choose the preferred map scale, which the
program then tries to match from the available maps. Basic worldwide
maps are provided and tools are included to help you add your own
Speech output is supported via the "speech dispatcher"
software. GpsDrive uses gpsd, a GPS service daemon
that monitors one or more GPS devices connected to a host computer, to
access GPS hardware. So
any receiver supported by gpsd should work with GpsDrive.
- Intuitive graphical user interface which supports
antialiased fonts and Unicode
- People connected to the same friendsd server can see each
others' position on the map
- Messages - send instant messages to other people on the
- Points of Interest can be stored in a local SQLite or MySQL
- Routes and tracks
- Uses Speech dispatcher speech output to provide information
about direction, speed, GPS status, distance to destination, and
battery level in English, German and Spanish
- Direct support for wardriving with Kismet(a WLAN detection
- Simulator mode for testing without a GPS device
- Keyboard shortcuts
- Sliding controls for preferred map scale.
- Units switchable between statute miles, nautical miles and
- Supported languages: German, English, Spanish, Italian,
Danish, Dutch, Turkish, Hungarian, Slovak, Swedish, Japanese and French
- Autodetects screen size for automatic fitting
- Internationalisation support
to GPS Tools Home Page
Last Updated Saturday, April 13 2013 @ 05:13 PM EDT