Areca Backup is a
file backup software developed in Java.
It includes a transaction
mechanism which guarantees the integrity of a backup.
The software allows users to select files or directories to
backup, filter, encrypt and compress their content, and store them on a
Areca supports incremental backups and generates backup
reports, which can be stored on disk or sent by
This application is intended for personal documents backup.
Areca supports incremental, differential and full backups.
Areca allows you to define a set of target. Each target
- Which file or directory will be saved
- A set of file filters to apply during backup
- How to store your archives (with or without compression and
- Whether your backups are incremental or not.
- What must be done after backup (send report by email, launch shell
script, merge archives, store report on disk).
These targets can be run with a graphical user interface or a
command-line interface (the latter is useful for backup automation).
- Archives compression (Zip & Zip64 format)
- Archives encryption (AES128 & AES256 encryption
- Storage on local hard drive, network drive, USB key, FTP /
FTPs server (with implicit and explicit SSL / TLS)
- Source file filters (by extension, subdirectory, regular
expression, size, date, status, with AND/OR operators)
- Incremental, differential and full backup support
- Archives merges / deletion : Merge contiguous archives in
one single archive or safely delete the latest archives
- As of date recovery : Recover archives (or single files) as
of a specific date
- Transaction mechanism
: All critical processes (such as backups or merges) support a
transaction mechanism (with commit / rollback management) which
guarantees backups' integrity
- Backup reports : Generate backup reports that can be stored
on disk or sent by email.
- Post backup scripts : Launch shell scripts after
- Files permissions and symbolic links backup
- Support for delta backup (store only the modified parts of
the files - not the whole files)
- Archives content explorer (including a 'find file in
description : A manifest is associated to each archive, which contains
various informations such as author, title, date, description, and some
- File history explorer : Keeps track of file's history
(creation / modifications / deletion) over archives
- Backup simulation : useful to check whether a backup is
- User's actions history : Areca keeps an history of all
user's actions (archives deletion, merges, backups, recoveries)
- Command-line interface which can be used for backup
to Backup Home Page
Last Updated Thursday, September 05 2013 @ 03:59 PM EDT