The Sauerbraten (Cube 2) engine is an advanced and complete
open source engine available today, with many novel features
unavailable elsewhere. Its main strength is its very productive content
pipeline which is especially attractive to smaller companies making
casual or serious games.
It is a branch of the computer game Cube and expands its
original concept. It shares most of its design goals and philosophy
with Cube, but using a new 6-directional heightfield world model. This
allows much more complex level geometry and easier editing.
Sauerbraten is also a networked fast-paced 3D first person
first-person shooter game. It supports rather modern graphic effects
and some attractive graphic details.
The game client also works as the map editor.
It is even possible to create and/or edit a map together with other
people over a network connection.
The game uses OpenGL and SDL, features single-player and
multiplayer game play and contains an in-game level editor.
Game Engine features include:
- 6 directional heightfield in octree world structure
allowing for instant easy in-game geometry editing (even in
multiplayer, coop edit)
- Rendering engine optimized for high geometry throughput,
supporting hardware occlusion culling.
- Lightmap based lighting with accurate shadows from
everything including mapmodels, smooth lighting for faceted geometry,
and fast compiles
- Pixel and vertex shader support, each model and world
texture can have its own shader assigned
- Robust physics written specifically for this world
- Loading of md2/md3 models for animated characters, weapons,
items, world objects
- Network library designed for high speed games,
client/server network system
- Small but complete configuration/scripting language.
- Simple stereo positional sound system
- Particle engine, supporting text particles
- 3d menu/gui system, for in-world representation of choices
Game features include:
- Oldskool fast & intense gameplay (read: similar to
Doom 2 / Quake 1)
- Many multiplayer gameplay modes, most in teamplay variants
as well: deathmatch, instagib, efficiency, tactics, capture
(domination/battlefield style), coop edit
- Masterserver & ingame server browser
- Lag-free gameplay experience
- Two singleplayer modes: DMSP (fight a monster invasion on
any DM map), classic SP (progression driven SP like other games)
- 7 weapons tuned for maximum satisfaction: double barrelled
shogun, rocket launcher, machine gun, rifle, grenade launcher, pistol,
to Games Home Page | Return
to Game Engines Home Page
Last Updated Saturday, May 19 2012 @ 10:23 AM EDT