Internet GIS (uDig) is an open source spatial data viewer/editor, with
special emphasis on the OpenGIS standards for internet GIS, the Web Map
Server and Web Feature Server standards.
It is a Java based open source desktop application framework,
built with Eclipse Rich Client (RCP) technology.
It aims to be:
User friendly - providing a familiar graphical environment for
Desktop located - thick client
Internet oriented - WMS, WFS, WCS, GeoRSS, KML, tiles geospatial web
- An out-of-the-box application, with the ability to view,
edit and print files, database (Oracle, SDE, PostGIS) and Web Feature
- An industry-standard extension framework (RCP) for adding
new functionality to the application
- A rich toolkit of Java functionality, ready for developers
to build on
- Uses GRASS for complex vector operations
- Native support for many other data sources
to Scientific Home Page | Return
to Earth Science
uDig also features in our 'Linux
Equivalents to Windows Software' section. The category
selector below allows you to filter the different types of software
included in that separate article.
Last Updated Wednesday, April 29 2015 @ 02:17 PM EDT