PING (Partimage Is
Not Ghost) is a free, open source distribution that
offers similar functionality to Symantec Ghost. It backs up
and restores (clones) a hard disk. It is a live Linux ISO, which is
based on the popular Linux From Scratch (LFS).
PING uses Partimage,
the program which performs the backup and restore features.
PING can be booted directly from a CD/DVD, or integrated into
a Remote Installation Server (PXE/RIS).
- Toolbox for rescuing a system
- Backup and Restore partitions or files to a MS Network
- Backup and Restore the BIOS data
- Blank local admin's password
- Create a restoration bootable DVD
and Format a disk before installing Windows (so to make sure your
unattended Windows installation will happen on the right partition)
- Most network cards automatically recognized by the kernel
- Most CD/DVD readers automatically recognized by the kernel
- No need to run a Ghostcast server to receive images over
- Wide range of supported filesystems
- Store an image on several CD/DVD (CD/DVD-spanning)
- Much much smaller than WinPE / BartPE
to Disk Cloning Home Page | Return
to Backup Home Page
PING also features in our 'Linux
Equivalents to Windows Software' section. The category
chooser below allows you to focus on different types of software
included in that section.
Last Updated Sunday, April 21 2013 @ 05:15 PM EDT