Balsa is an e-mail
client for GNOME,
highly configurable and incorporating
all the features you would expect in a robust mail client.
Balsa has a graphical front end, support for MIME attachments
incoming and outgoing, as well as directly supports POP3 and IMAP
protocols. It also
has a spell checker and direct support for PGP and GPG for encryption.
It has some basic filtering capabilities, and natively supports several
e-mail storage protocols. It also has some internationalization
support, including Japanese fonts.
The Balsa message editor is simple, but competent for
composing clean and properly formatted plain text messages.
| Balsa 2.4.13
Free to download
GNU GPL v2
Emmanuel Allaud, Peter Bloomfield, Albrecht
Carlos Morgado, Pawel Salek, Bart Visscher, and many others
- Support for local mailbox formats: mbox, maildir, mh
- Allows nested mailboxes
- Support for POP3 and IMAP mail access protocols, including
CRAM-MD5 and GSS authorization
- Spell Checking
- Multi-threaded mail retrieval (optional)
- MIME support (view images inline, save parts)
- Supports SMTP and/or use of local MTA, ie. Sendmail
- Address Book that integrates with GnomeCard
- Highly configurable
- Active, open development
- Multiple character sets for composing and reading messages
- Allows file attachments to outgoing messages
- GPG/OpenPGP mail signing and encryption
to Email Home Page
Balsa also features in our 'Linux
Equivalents to Windows Software' section. The category
selector below allows you to filter the different types of software
included in that separate article.
Last Updated Sunday, November 25 2012 @ 12:18 PM EST