AbiWord is a small,
fast, feature-laden word processor similar to Microsoft Word. It is
suitable for a
wide variety of word processing tasks including typing papers, letters,
reports, memos, etc.
It provides most of the features that are normally found in a
WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) word processor, including spell
checking, and the ability to use various fonts.
One of the key differences between AbiWord and most word
is the default file format. Unlike documents saved normally in many
competing word-processors, a document saved with AbiWord is written
in plainly readable text with XML markup, making it possible to use any
text editor to view AbiWord documents.
AbiWord was originally developed by the SourceGear
Corporation, but is now maintained by an open group of volunteers.
- A familiar interface
- File import and export, with support for MS Word,
WordPerfect, and more
- Unlimited undo and redo capacity Solid (X)HTML export, with
CSS styles support
- Spelling support, with optional underlining
- Bullets and Lists
- Table of Contents generation and customization through the
- Complete, intuitive revisions-tracking support
- Nested tables support, nearly unmatched in the field
- Mail merge
- Bidirectional text support
- Command-line and server use modes for document processing
Last Updated Sunday, May 17 2015 @ 09:22 AM EDT