Bluefish is a
powerful editor aimed at programmers and webdesigners, with many
options to write websites, scripts and programming code.
supports many programming and markup languages, and focuses on editing
dynamic and interactive websites.
Bluefish is not a WYSIWYG text editor. Syntax
highlighting, advanced search/replace functionality, scalability and
language function references help to make Bluefish a useful tool for
The software has been in development since 1997, and was
called Thtml editor.
What makes Bluefish particularly attractive is that it is very
easy to learn.
- Lightweight - Bluefish tries to be lean and clean
- Fast - Bluefish loads tens of files within seconds
- Multiple document interface, easily opens 500+ documents
- Open files recursively based on filename patterns and/or
- Wizards for startup, tables, frames, and others
- Project support, enabling you to work efficiently on
- Support for remote files using gnome-vfs
- Powerful search and replace, allowing POSIX and Perl
Compatible regular expressions and sub-pattern replacing
- Unlimited undo/redo functionality
- Customizable syntax highlighting based on Perl
regular expressions, with subpattern support and default patterns for
ColdFusion, Pascal, R,
- Anti aliased text window
- Multiple encodings support. Bluefish works internally with
UTF8, but can save your documents in any desired encoding.
- Line numbers along the document, bookmarks in documents and
a search function
- HTML toolbar and tearable menu's
- Compliance with the GNOME
user interface guidelines
- User customizable integration of many programs, including
make, lint, weblint, xmllint, tidy, javac, or your own program.
- User customizable integration of many external filters,
pipe your document (or just the current selected text) through sort,
sed, awk or any custom script.
- Function reference browser, including reference files for
PHP, CSS, Python
- Complete translations in Brasilian Portuguese, Bulgarian,
Chinese, Danish, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Italian,
Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish and Tamil.
Some other languages are partially supported
to Editors Home Page | Return
to HTML Editors Home Page
Bluefish also features in our 'Linux
Equivalents to Windows Software' section. The category
selector below allows you to filter the different types of software
included in that separate article.
Last Updated Sunday, June 08 2014 @ 10:02 AM EDT