Amarok is an audio
player for KDE
offering a wealth of features, yet being intuitive to use. It has an
where music can be drag and dropped into the playlist.
Amarok serves many functions rather than just playing music
files. For example, Amarok can be used to organize a library of music
according to genre, artist, and album, can edit tags attached to most
music formats, associate album art, attach lyrics, and automatically
"score" music as it is played.
Amarok does not support any media types directly, but instead
uses a backend independent approach.
There are plugins available for the iRiver media devices,
Apple iPod, Creative Nomad and Zen.
| Amarok 2.8.0
Free to download
GNU GPL v2
Amarok team includes Christian Muehlaeuser, Frederik
Hollen, Mark Kretschmann, and Max Howell.
SQLite, MySQL, PostgreSQL
0.8.6 and Gst-Plugins 0.8.6
- Support for multiple backends (xine,
aRts, and NMM), so that Amarok can play lots of different music formats
- Internet functionality: Streaming including Radio Streams,
Podcasts, full support for last.fm, automatic downloading of cover art
servces, lyrics downloads
- Support for iPod, iRiver and generic UMS
mp3 players with the all new media-browser
- Album Cover Manager for managing your album covers using
- Full Last.fm support
- Queue Manager allowing complete control over playlists
- 10 band equalizer
- Visualizations from libvisual and XMMS
- Full lyrics download
- Automatic completion of ID3 tags
- Learn about your music with integrated Wikipedia
- Podcast support
- GPodder.net podcast synchronization
- Integrated Amazon MP3 store
- Integration with multiple web sources including Magnatune,
Jamendo, Ampache, MP3tunes, and others
- Translated into more than 35 languages
More Advanced features:
(CD/DVD burning) integration.
- Dynamic Playlists; self-generating playlists, created
accordingly to defined rules.
- DCOP interface providing an easy way to control Amarok with
custom scripts which can be written in many different languages
including Python and PHP.
- Support for sqlite, MySQL and PostgreSQL
databases ensuring fast collection access.
- Shortcuts enabling the software to function whilst
minimised to the system tray
- Transcoding for iPod-like and USB Mass Storage devices that
complements transcoding for Local Collection
- Embedded Cover support for Ogg and Flac files
- Album Art support for tracks on the filesystem and USB Mass
If you prefer GNOME
applications, you might want to check out Banshee
to Audio Home Page | Return
to Audio Players Home Page | Return
to Podcast Tools Home Page
Amarok also features in our 'Linux
Equivalents to Windows Software' section. The category
selector below allows you to filter the different types of software
in that separate article.
Last Updated Saturday, April 25 2015 @ 03:05 PM EDT