Simple Backup Solution is a set of backend backup daemon and GNOME Graphical User Interface (GUI) frontends that provides a simple yet powerful backup solution for common desktop users.
Backups can be written to local directory or remote servers using GNOME VFS technology. A fine control is possible regarding what folders and files to backup. Files can be excluded even with a set of regular expressions. Regular backups can be scheduled.
This tool has been written with Google sponsorship during Summer of Code 2005 with mentoring help from Ubuntu.
- Backup any subset of files and directories.
- Exclude files and directories by regex expressions.
- Exclude files by type (extension).
- Exclude files by maximum file size.
- Backup to local filesystem.
- Backup to any GnomeVFS supported remote filesystem (including sftp and ftp).
- Full and incremental backups.
- Scheduling backups via cron.
- Gnome GUI for configuration.
- Gnome GUI for restore.
- Command line restore tool that also provides python API for restoring a file or directory.
- Backing up package list in Debian derived distributions.
- On restore, existing files are not overwritten, but are renamed to a safe name.
Developer: Aigars Mahinovs, Jonh Wendell, Ouattara Oumar Aziz, Andreas Sliwka
License: GNU GPL v2
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.